Workspace – Studio Space
Artists are selected for studio space at Phoenix once a year. The call out is advertised through the Arts Council England’s mailing list and Fabrica’s Artist Resource, as well as on this web site. You can also email us firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be added to the contact list.
Studio applications are now closed for 2019.
We are keen for artists working in all disciplines to have the opportunity to become studio holders at Phoenix Brighton. We currently operate a ‘pool’ system, where-by artists are selected to become part of the pool group. Artists in the pool are invited to take on vacant studio space when it becomes available.
Phoenix Brighton is a charity and is able to offer studio space at a reduced rent to artists who are unable to rent studios from landlords at a commercial rate. We operate a selection process to ensure that our artists meet our criteria and that the spaces are actively used.
By ‘artists’ we mean artists that work largely within the visual arts, including fine art, photography, film, video, sculpture and applied arts. We also encourage applications from artists that have a cross disciplinary practice such as sound and performance, but we would expect to see a visual arts foundation to their practice.
A call for applications is made 1 month prior to the selection meeting. A notice will be included on our website homepage as well as Fabrica’s Artist Resource. Artists are selected by a panel made up of current Phoenix artists, of which changes every year. Artists selected at this stage will be held on the pool list until a suitable space becomes available.
Successful artists will be offered studio space at Phoenix. Studio members will be expected to fulfil the criteria below on an ongoing basis, we offer spaces to artists that successfully meet the selection criteria and who also match our requirements when a space becomes available. Phoenix is keen to keep a balance of working practice, gender, age and ethnicity within the building, and this will be kept in mind when selecting artists and allocating studios.
The studio spaces vary in sizes, below gives examples of general sizes. All spaces are charged on a square ft basis and include, water rates and general running costs with electricity charged monthly on top.
Full space (380sq ft) about 23×16.5 feet/7m x 4.57m @ around £270 pcm
¾ space (285sq ft) about 17×16.5 feet/5m x 4.57m @ around £200 pcm
½ space (180sq ft) about 11×16.5 feet/3.4 x 4.57m @ around £125 pcm
Criteria for selection:
Artists will be selected for studio space if they can demonstrate the following:
- Commitment to their professional practice
- Engagement with current contemporary practice
- Ambition to progress and develop their practice within a critical framework.
- Willingness to participate in public events, including the annual open studio event, and occasional studio visits.
- Willingness to promote the organisations activities and to acknowledge their part in the organisation where appropriate.
- Commitment to contributing to the professional development of artists at Phoenix by taking part in discussion, mentoring and critical debate
- Willingness to engage with the organisation’s education and artistic programmes
- Willingness to be part of an artists community & contribute to the day to day running of the studios
- Commitment to spending the majority of their working time actively using the studio space.
- Show how your practice will benefit from the provision of affordable studio space at Phoenix.
- Ability to meet required commitments, including rota jobs.
- Ability to pay collective charges fully and on time.
Applying for Studio Space
Artists wishing to apply for studio space at Phoenix Brighton should submit the following information by the closing date 11/02/2019.
- Completed application form including details of the type of space preferred, and any special requirements or facilities needed.
- Provide a short statement (no longer than 300 words) detailing how you feel you can fulfil the above criteria. Please refer to previous/future experience such as working in other studio groups, educational environments, mentoring, workshops, residencies, curating, or working on artist led projects or with other arts organisations; self initiated exhibitions and events, or other collaborative ventures you feel relate to Phoenix’s aims. Include details of ways in which you would be interested in getting involved.
- An up to date CV.
- Up to 5 digital images that represent your current practice (jpeg format) and video clip (no longer than 2 minutes).
- A reference from someone you have worked with professionally (within the context of your current arts practice).
The application information is very important because it is the only opportunity we will have to get a sense of your artistic practice and to determine how a studio at Phoenix could benefit the development of your practice.
We will inform you if you have been successful or not within 4 weeks. You can apply again for studio space if you are unsuccessful the first time.
Once artists have been allocated studio space they will be required to pay a returnable deposit equal to three months license fee. License fees are then paid one month in advance, by standing order, electricity charges are charged on top.